Sunday, March 19, 2017

location, location, location

The title of this post sounds a little like I'm a house hunter on HGTV but that's okay because it is catchy and is relevant to our decision making for the film!

So, Alex and I had a tough time figuring out where exactly we wanted to shoot our film. We needed a specific space with symmetrical lines and a certain aesthetic. Since our genre is film noir, the typical aesthetic is old fashioned and classic black and white, so we had to come up with a place that encompassed that idea. Also, in regards to symmetry, since we want to follow the Wes Anderson style, we needed a space that when shown in a wide shot, is for the most part symmetrical. 

We first decided to possibly film at Alex's house. He mentioned that his bedroom has two windows side by side and create a pretty symmetrical space. But, he has a bunk bed and computer in the way that we would have to take apart so we ended up deciding to figure out a new place to film. That is exactly when a lightbulb went off in my head and I realized that I have a formal symmetrical dining room in my house. There is a big window with paintings on either side of it and tall candles on the table with six chairs. I took a picture of the room and edited it to make it black and white and Alex and I agreed it was perfect for the film. The filter I used is actually called 'noir' which couldn't be more fitting!
-L


No comments:

Post a Comment

My CCR

My Creative Critical Reflection